Info Forum Sign Up! Contact
Landemonium PlasmaMods
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:34 pm

Performance Comparison 8800GT Overclocked Cards 
Site Admin

Post Performance Comparison 8800GT Overclocked Cards
As I recently has the (dis)pleasure of owning an Asus 8800GT Overclocked card, and now the pleasure of owning an EVGA 8800GT SuperClocked, I figured I would post up a 3D Mark '06 Performance Comparison between the 2 cards.

(For those that don't know, I had to send the Asus card back because it was in a downward spiral of overheating and locking up/crashing the system)

To sum up the results, the Asus was slightly faster, but the difference is so minute that there is not a noticeable difference.
Couple that with the fact that the Asus card is very poorly designed (fan set at a single slow speed, not adjustable via card and other means), NO cooling (active nor passive) on the ram chips, and the oversized fan which does an inadequate job of cooling, the Asus is a loosing buy.
By contrast the EVGA card is very well designed. The heatsink covers the entire card and is directly attached to the GPU AND all of the ram chips. Plus the card does not over heat and lockup.

I have used RivaTuner to adjust the card's fan speeds so that it ramps up the fan to 100% in game. At idle the fan sits at 60% and is barely audible, and MUCH quieter than the fan was on my old ATI X850XT.

Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:27 pm
Profile WWW